Jan 16, 2009

Back to basics . . .

My head is just completely void of any creative thoughts. Don't you hate it when that happens? Sometimes the ideas pile up so fast you can't make things fast enough, and other times you can't think of anything to make.


copyright by Marsha Jorgensen 1/16/08
3 3/4 x 4 3/4 collage using a vintage black and white photo, reprinted, carefully trimmed and hand-colored and arranged with a crown from lisasalteredart.etsy.com, wings under a license agreement with Butterfly Utopia and scrap pieces of new and vintage paper on a watercolored background.


I was happy to have a reason to rework an old idea today. Miss Shelly, another good and loyal Etsy customer, purchased the original and older version of the piece above. I just wasn't happy with it so I decided to rework it today. This particular fairy is a hard one to work with or doesn't want to be made. She is particularly hard to color in and I have had several failed attempts. Today, of course, after I was satisfied, not content, but satisfied, she developed a beauty mark on her cheek in the attaching process. I'm not sure how that little black speck got on her cheek but I've decided it is, in fact, now a beauty mark. Her skin was too perfect anyway. The thick border on the left will be more covered by the matte - I can't find the right mattes anymore. The only ones I can find are narrower in thier opening, so I have to design to the matte.

Now, about Miss Shelly. I just found her blog and then her flickr today. How have I missed her? You have to go take a look at her beautiful baby and beautiful artwork. I have called dibs on a piece or two (or we'll just have to fight for 'em) when she opens her Etsy. Here are the links: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellypaints for flickr (be sure not to miss her collages - mmmm, mmmmm) and for her blog http://shellypaints.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Hi Marsha!

All the lovely fairies arrived today! They are all SO wonderful, and I'm still sticking by my statement that the original green fairy is fabulous. And the new one is too! (And the other iterations I've seen you post lately are also amazing!) I'm planning a special place for all of them. :)

THANK YOU!